Saturday, April 11, 2009

REAGAN'S FIRST WEEK

Giving birth to Reagan was the easy part. The first couple of nights recovery-wise for me, were the hardest part of the entire pregnancy. I have a lot of respect for the nurses that work with post-partem mothers. I was completely helpless & they (along with Eric) helped me with the most basic of functions.
Reagan slept awesome the first night in the hospital. I let her go 4 hours between feedings (at the direction of the labor & delivery nurse), & she slept the whole time. The breast feeding went surprisingly well. Aside from some difficulties latching on at times, we both really took to it. Even though Reagan slept, Eric & I didn't. I couldn't take my eyes off her because I wanted to make sure she was breathing & there was so much activity with the nurses in & out of the room that sleep was not an option.
The next day we had several visitors...my mom, sister, dad, in-laws, sister- and brother-in-law & Aunt Becky. Eric had an early meeting on Thursday morning, so we decided that he could use a good night sleep & that my mom would spend the night with Reagan & I in the hospital. Well, no one got any sleep. There were storms all night & our dogs were feaking out at the house, so no sleep for Eric. Reagan was up the entire night, so no sleep there, either. However, my mom & I spent a lot of time looking at Reagan & laughing at all her funny facial expressions.
Finally on Thursday in the afternoon, we left the hospital & got back to the relaxing atmosphere of our home. When I walked in the house, I saw that Eric had taken the time to get a beautiful bouquet of flowers & a cute balloon. The combination of hormones & Eric's thoughtfullness made me cry. Not for long, but I was definitely touched & emotional. Our dogs were very excited to see us & were great with Reagan. They smelled her & then pretty much ignored her after that. Raleigh reacted the way I thought she would...just did her own thing. Zoe surprised me. She is usually very high-strung but she has been a lot more calm with Reagan in the house.
Jessi, my sister-in-law, called that afternoon & offered to bring us dinner. The Mexican soup she brought over was so good & it was great to not have to worry about cooking on the first night home. My mom stayed with us (& would be with us for the next week) which was great. We couldn't have made it through that fist week without her. Here are some photos from Reagan's first week of life.



















No comments: